What is an actor?
Actors are performers who portray characters in various media. Actors may play roles in live performances or video advertisements and other content, or they might work as voice actors for voice-overs and other audio content.
How do you hire an actor?
You can source acting talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and background you are looking for in an actor.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview actors. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific kind of actor you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an actor?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced actor may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their acting services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write an actor job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample actor job post titles:
- Enthusiastic voice actor needed to narrate an e-learning presentation
- Seeking a female actor for resort commercial video shoot
- 30+ male actor needed for a nerdy role in storytelling videos
An effective actor job post should include:
- Scope of work: From rehearsals to shoot dates, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or methods or need actors to be available in a certain location, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Actor job responsibilities
Here are some examples of actor job responsibilities:
- Interpret roles through speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform the audience
- Memorize lines, or read lines clearly and steadily for voice acting
- Accept director feedback and adjust performance as needed
- Deliver consistent character representation
Actor job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an actor. Here are some examples:
- Previous acting experience in similar projects
- Completion of acting classes or training
- Possesses the physical characteristics required to fill specific roles
- Ability to work through potentially long days of shooting