How to hire welders
CAD designers with welding expertise know how to create engineering drawings that manufacturers will be able to use.
So how do you hire welders? What follows are some tips for finding top welders on Upwork.
How to shortlist welding professionals
As you’re browsing available welding consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- CAD program. You want a welder who understands your preferred CAD software.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., welding thermoplastic materials together).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular welder.
How to write an effective welding job post
With a clear picture of your ideal welder in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective welding job post should include:
- Scope of work: From parts lists to 3D CAD models, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain types of welding (e.g., shielded metal arc welding), mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to accurately represent welds in your manufacturing designs? Log in and post your welding job on Upwork today.
What is welding?
Welding is the process of joining two or materials together (typically metals or thermoplastics). CAD (computer-aided design) designers need to understand the basics of welding if they are to properly represent welds in their engineering drawings.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in welding professionals:
- Manufacturing design
- CAD tools such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks
- CAD welding techniques (e.g., creating weld beads)
Why hire welders?
The trick to finding top welders is to identify your needs. Do you need someone adept at working with sheet metal, panel layouts, and steel structures in AutoCAD? Do you require an accurate physical model of your weld to perform FEA (finite element analysis) in a program such as COMSOL? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a welder?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced welder may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their welding services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.