How to hire product description writers
Product description writers are responsible for the copy that helps products fly off digital store shelves.
So how do you hire product description writers? What follows are some tips for finding top product description writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist product description writing professionals
As you’re browsing available product description writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Niche fit. You want a product description writer who understands your product niche so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing search optimized product descriptions for Amazon product listings).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular product description writer.
How to write an effective product description writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal product description writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective product description writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From performing keyword research to writing search optimized product descriptions, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or online marketplaces, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to write quality product descriptions for all your product listings? Log in and post your product description writing job on Upwork today.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION WRITING FAQ
What is product description writing?
Product description writing is the practice of creating the copy that communicates the features and benefits of a product to a potential customer. This can also be considered a part of product promotion services.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in product description writing professionals:
- Product description writing
- SEO (search engine optimization)
- Editing and proofreading
Why hire product description writers?
The trick to finding top product description writers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone to create product descriptions for items you’re selling on eBay? Or is your goal to find someone to regularly generate product descriptions for your online store? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a product description writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced product description writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their product description writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.