How to hire accounts payable specialists
Accounts payable specialists can help you process payroll, track basic business expenses, and perform other accounting duties.
So how do you hire accounts payable specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top accounts payable consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist accounts payable professionals
As you’re browsing available accounts payable consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Accounting software From Excel spreadsheets to QuickBooks, you want an accounts payable specialist who understands the tools you use to manage your books.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., itemizing business expenses for tax preparation).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular accounts payable specialist.
How to write an effective accounts payable job post
With a clear picture of your ideal accounts payable specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective accounts payable job post should include:
- Scope of work: From processing payments to general bookkeeping, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or accounting tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to ensure your business efficiently tracks and pays its expenses? Log in and post your accounts payable job on Upwork today.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is accounts payable?
Accounts payable is the money a business owes to an outside entity. Accountants responsible for accounts payable help process payments, expenditures, payroll, purchase orders, invoices, statements, and other documents.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in accounts payable professionals:
- Accounts payable
Why hire accounts payable specialists?
The trick to finding top accounts payable specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find someone to help you track accounts payable via QuickBooks? Will you also need help with other accounting tasks such as accounts receivable? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an accounts payable specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced accounts payable specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their accounts payable services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.