How to hire human resource managers
From recruiting new talent to managing employee relations, human resources (HR) management is a lot of work. An HR manager can help you better manage your business’s most vital resource: its people.
So how do you hire HR management consultants? What follows are some tips for finding top HR managers on Upwork.
How to shortlist HR management professionals
As you’re browsing available HR management consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an HR manager who understands the nuances of sourcing and managing talent in your industry.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., assembling employee benefits packages).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular HR manager.
How to write an effective HR management job post
With a clear picture of your ideal HR manager in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective HR management job post should include:
- Scope of work: From onboarding talent to executive coaching, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or collaboration tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to level up your HR department? Log in and post your HR management job on Upwork today.
HR MANAGERS FAQ
What is HR management?
HR management is an umbrella term that encompasses all the tasks needed to manage an organization’s human capital. HR managers perform a wide variety of functions, including talent acquisition, leadership development, and the development of grievance procedures.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in HR management professionals:
- Human resources management
- Organizational development
- Applicant tracking systems (e.g., ADP, Taleo, Kenexa BrassRing)
Why hire HR managers?
The trick to finding top HR managers is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a freelancer to establish a leadership development track in your organization? Will your HR manager also be in charge of implementing a new talent acquisition system at your business? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an HR manager?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced HR manager may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their HR management services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.