What is a Project Manager?
A project manager can fulfill many roles while guiding a project from conception to completion. A project manager may oversee a sales team, put an agile software development methodology into practice, or be the driving force behind a number of possible projects.
You can source Project Manager talent on Upwork by following these 3 steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in Project Manager.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, simply post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview Project Managers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of Project Manager you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a Project Manager?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a project manager.
How do you write a Project Manager job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample Project Manager job post titles:
- Marketing Project Manager Needed for Coaching Company
- Construction Project Manager Needed for Residential Renovations
- Data Usage Project Manager Needed to Manage Communications
An effective Project Manager job post should include:
- Scope of work: From team supervision to budget allocation, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or methodologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Project Manager responsibilities
Here are some examples of Project Manager job responsibilities:
- Oversee assigned projects and troubleshoot issues
- Develop project plans that include resource and budget needs
- Communicate objectives and progress with executives, IT, and/or team leaders
- Work with vendors and suppliers
Project Manager requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a Project Manager. Here are some examples:
- Experience with or certification in project management
- Ability to be resourceful and solve problems creatively
- Familiarity with project management software, methodologies, and best practices
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills