How to hire travel agents
Travel can be fun, but the logistics are often stressful. A travel agent can reduce the administrative overhead of booking hotel reservations, changing flights, and other travel logistics.
So how do you hire travel agents? What follows are some tips for finding top travel agents on Upwork.
How to shortlist travel professionals
As you’re browsing available travel consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Communication. You want a travel agent who is an effective communicator with a strong attention to detail.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., generating travel expense reports).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular travel agent.
How to write an effective travel agent job post
With a clear picture of your ideal travel agent in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective travel agent job post should include:
- Scope of work: From booking travel arrangements to tracking expenses, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain productivity tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to streamline your next big trip? Log in and post your travel agent job on Upwork today.
TRAVEL AGENTS FAQ
What is a travel agent?
A travel agent is someone who specializes in helping people with the logistics of planning a trip.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in travel professionals:
- Travel agent services (e.g., travel planning, travel booking)
- Administrative support
- Communication (e.g., email, phone, chat)
- Internet research
Why hire travel agents?
The trick to finding top travel agents is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a professional to book flights, lodgings, and entertainment on your behalf? Are you also seeking a virtual assistant to perform clerical tasks such as organizing your travel expenses for tax purposes? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a travel agent?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced travel agent may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their travel agent services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.