How to hire wind power consultants
Eager to go green and potentially save money by harnessing wind power for your energy needs? A wind power professional can help you with wind energy assessments, mesoscale modeling, and site compliance studies needed to get your wind power project off the ground.
So how do you hire wind power consultants? What follows are some tips for finding top wind power professionals on Upwork.
How to shortlist wind power professionals
As you’re browsing available wind power consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the independent professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Location. You want a wind power consultant who’s familiar with local land-use and development regulations.
- Project management. Experience managing the construction of a windmill or wind farm is a plus.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular wind power consultant.
How to write an effective wind power job post
With a clear picture of your ideal wind power consultant in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective wind power job post should include:
- Scope of work: From site compliance studies to wind farm layout optimizations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer more engineering or legal experience, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to harness the power of wind for your energy needs? Log in and post your wind power job on Upwork today.
WIND POWER SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is wind power?
Wind power is pretty simple—generate power by harnessing the energy of the wind. The logistics behind setting up a windmill to harness that power, however, are not so simple. Environmental assessments, noise regulations, wind quality, and other considerations need to be addressed before you can even begin constructing a windmill. A wind power consultant can help walk you through the process of setting up and operating your own wind power project.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in wind power professionals:
- Wind power consulting
- Wind energy assessments, resource mapping, and modeling
- Land-use planning and development regulations (e.g. environmental, energy, real estate, etc.)
- Communication (legal writing, technical writing, presentations)
- Project management and/or electrical engineering
Why hire wind power consultants?
The trick to finding top wind power consultants is to identify your needs. Need help identifying measurement mast and remote sensing device locations to generate a wind resource map? Or do you need help with a wind turbine performance evaluation?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a wind power consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced wind power contractor may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their wind power services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.