How to hire conversion rate optimizers
It’s one thing to successfully direct traffic to your website. It’s another to convert those those visits into sales. A conversion rate optimization (CRO) specialist can perform the qualitative and quantitative research needed to help you reach your conversion goals.
So how do you hire conversion rate optimizers? Here are some tips for finding top conversion rate optimizers on Upwork.
How to shortlist conversion rate optimization professionals
As you’re browsing available conversion rate optimization consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles using criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a conversion rate optimizer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., A/B testing a landing page with Unbounce).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular conversion rate optimizer.
How to write an effective conversion rate optimizer job post
With a clear picture of your ideal conversion rate optimization consultant in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective conversion rate optimization job post should include:
- Scope of work: From web analytics to on-site optimization, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to boost the conversion rates of your digital marketing campaign? Log in and post your conversion rate optimization job on Upwork today.
CONVERSION RATE OPTIMIZERS FAQ
What is conversion rate optimization (CRO)?
Conversion rate optimization is a systematic approach to increasing the conversion rate of a website or marketing campaign. From micro-conversions, such as subscribing to an email list, to macro-conversions, such as purchasing a product from your online store, conversion rate optimization professionals are here to help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in conversion rate optimization contractors:
- CRO/SEO/SEM strategy
- CRO tools such as Google Analytics
- On-site optimization
- PPC (pay-per-click) advertising
- Experience with sales funnels, email marketing, and lead generation
Why hire conversion rate optimization specialists?
The trick to finding top conversion rate optimizers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone who can perform qualitative and quantitative research across your entire sales funnel with a specific analytics tool such as Kissmetrics? Will they also need copywriting skills to directly improve the conversion rate of your landing pages and email autoresponders? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a conversion rate optimizer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced conversion rate optimization consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their conversion rate optimization services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.