How to hire journalists
A big part of content marketing is covering the news. If you want to create compelling content designed to keep your audience informed about newsworthy events in your industry, a journalist can help.
So how do you hire journalists? What follows are some tips for finding top journalists on Upwork
How to shortlist journalism professionals
As you’re browsing available journalism consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a journalist who understands your industry so they can write news stories that resonate with your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing press releases).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular journalist.
How to write an effective journalism job post
With a clear picture of your ideal journalist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective journalism job post should include:
- Scope of work: From covering the news to ghostwriting for your blog, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or writing styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to cover newsworthy events in your industry? Log in and post your journalism job on Upwork today.
What is journalism?
Journalism is the practice of writing news stories, usually for magazines, newspapers, and blogs. Journalists bring together a mix of creative writing, storytelling, and research.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in journalism consultants:
- Writing expertise (copywriting, ghostwriting, content creation)
- Editing and proofreading
- Industry-specific expertise (e.g., health, finance, science)
Why hire journalists?
The trick to finding top journalists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to cover company milestones in regular press releases? Will your journalist need to conduct their own research and perform their own interviews? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a journalist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced journalist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their journalism services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.