What is Xero?
Xero is a cloud-based SaaS (software-as-a-service) solution for business accounting. Xero features include built-in support for invoicing, preparing 1099s, and generating financial reports.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Xero professionals:
- Financial analysis
If you’re looking for help working with Xero API, look for professionals with a background in web development.
Why do you want to hire Xero specialists?
The trick to finding top Xero specialists is to identify your needs. Are you looking for an accountant to help you manage your financial accounting through Xero? Or do you require the help of a developer to leverage Xero API to integrate the platform with your online store? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE XERO SPECIALISTS
Xero specialists can help you balance your books, keep track of suppliers, process payroll, and perform other business accounting tasks.
So how do you hire Xero specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top Xero specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist Xero professionals
As you’re browsing available Xero consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a Xero specialist who understands the different technologies and platforms you wish to integrate with Xero.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., preparing GST returns).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Xero specialist.
How to write an effective Xero job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Xero specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Xero job post should include:
- Scope of work: From financial reporting to tax preparation, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain accounting tasks or business technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to manage your finances through a single unified ledger in the cloud? Log in and post your Xero job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING XERO SPECIALISTS
How much does it cost to hire a Xero specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Xero specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Xero services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a Xero specialist to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a Xero specialist, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more complex Xero projects. For example, basic bookkeeping through Xero will typically take less time than also managing fixed assets and preparing taxes.
What are the steps involved to hire Xero specialists?
Here’s how to hire Xero consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s bookkeeping or financial reporting.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., generating smart lists to segment contacts based on purchase history).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential Xero specialists for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., integrating Xero with your Shopify site).
- Interview Xero talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.