Twitter is one of the most powerful social media platforms for businesses today. With its 140-character limit, you’re able to write and express your updates quickly and succinctly. With the use of a hashtag, you can categorize your tweets easily to make them more discoverable in Twitter search. By using an “@mention,” you can start a conversation with other Twitter users.
As you build your presence on Twitter, it’s critical to cultivate good communication. Responding to your audience helps them connect with you and your brand—which can translate into sales and loyal fans. Posting regularly shows you’re active and involved with the community you’re building.
There are lots of free tools available to make managing your social media accounts more effective and productive. I use these tools, and the data they provide, every day to help my clients connect with and engage people on Twitter. Are you ready to get started?
While every part of your audience is important, knowing who the key influencers are—and building relationships with them—can help amplify your message.
Key influencers are people who have a lot of followers and their followers listen to what they have to say. Followerwonk is a tool that will help you view social authority rankings and identify key influencers to connect with. Social authority is a measure of someone’s influence on a social media platform. It’s important to look for key influencers who have a legitimate high follower count (i.e., 500 or more) rather than those who purchased their many followers. Social authority ranking is a good way to tell the difference, as it takes into account the amount of engagement that an influencer commands from their audience. Followerwonk can help you find Twitter users who are active and have a legitimate amount of clout. Here’s how to hone in on key influencers in a snap:
- Go to Followerwonk.
- Use “Search Bios” to identify influencers whom your followers or target audience might follow. You can look for authors, scientists, singers, writers, journalists, etc. and filter your search by location if you want to.
- Click “Do it” and view the results. Look for a social authority ranking of 40 or higher.
- Go to Twitter and start connecting with your targeted list of influencers.
You can use Hootsuite to manage multiple social media accounts—not just Twitter—as well as track important topics and find relevant content.
Hootsuite also makes it easier to monitor your Twitter lists; you can even create them right from the Hootsuite dashboard. A Twitter list is a group of people, whom you may or may not follow, that you’ve curated around a topic, theme, or purpose. Twitter lists can be public or private—and a private list is an efficient way to help you follow and respond to new tweets from your target audience or influencers.
You can also use Twitter lists to get a better idea of when and how you can interact with your community.
Here’s how to create a Twitter List on Hootsuite:
- Go to your Hootsuite dashboard.
- Set up a new stream. Click “Add stream” > “Twitter” > “Lists.”
- Go to “Contacts,” click the down arrow above someone’s photo, and choose “Add to list.”
3. TWITTER ANALYTICS
Twitter’s built-in analytics tool can help you identify content that resonates with your audience. By looking at your Top Tweets in Twitter Analytics, you can identify which tweets have had the highest engagement, so you know what to do more of in the future.
Twitter counts all types of clicks as an engagement, including faves, shares, and clicks on links or hashtags. Which of those metrics is important to you depends on your goals. For example, if you want to drive traffic to your website, link clicks will be more important than the number of people who favorited the tweet or followed the hashtag.
Here’s how you can hone in on your top posts:
- Log into Twitter Analytics on your Twitter account.
- In the top navigation, click the “Tweets” tab. (Or click “View all Tweet activity” under the highlights for the current month.)
- Click on the “Top Tweets” tab to focus on those statistics.
- View activity for a specific time period by changing the time frame from the default of “Last 28 Days” in the top right corner.
- See which content got higher engagement. As mentioned above, which engagement metrics matter most will depend on your goals.
- Reshare content that people interacted with.
You can read more on this at Buffer.
4. Hashtag with Hashtagify
Hashtags—keywords marked by a “#” and used on many social networks like Twitter, Instagram, and Google+—can be used to identify popular subjects and discover Twitter users who either post about those topics or are mentioned in tweets about these topics on a regular basis.
That makes hashtags a simple but powerful way for you to expand your network and identify the right influencers. Hashtagify is a tool to help you search for and identify ways to find the most popular and relevant hashtags for your business. Here’s how:
- Go to Hashtagify.
- Use the “Search #tag” feature to look for the best hashtags to reach your audience.
- When you click “Search,” using the hashtag #foodie as an example, the all-time top 10 hashtags related to #foodie will appear.
- Too-popular hashtags that get tweeted 100 times a minute are likely to be overlooked by your audience, while those that are more niche can give your posts a longer lifespan and improved visibility. For example, #food is a very commonly used hashtag; using a recognizable but less-used hashtag, like #foodieforlife, can get a better response.
BuzzSumo is a handy tool that enables you to research great content to fuel your tweets. It helps you identify the most shared links and key influencers for any topic. You can analyze what content performs best for any topic or competitor. It’s easy to use:
- Go to BuzzSumo.
- Start your search by entering one or two keywords that are likely to appear in the titles of content related to your industry or area of focus—for example, content marketing, SEO, or blogging.
- Filter by the date and then by the type of content: articles, infographics, guest posts, giveaways, interviews, or videos.
- After you hit “search,” BuzzSumo will show you how many times each article has been shared on each social network to date. This allows you to determine the number of Twitter shares and helps you judge the content’s popularity.
After you’ve found trends to focus on, determine the hashtags associated with them. There are a few ways you can use both the hashtags and trends for your own tweets:
- Write content that is on the topic of an identified trend and share it using the relevant hashtags.
- Create your own tweets for the popular articles using the identified hashtags.
- Respond to tweets by the author of the articles with a thought or question related to their article. They’re likely to be influencers in the industry and it could be beneficial to your brand to build a relationship with them and their audience.
Twitter is a great channel to start and keep good conversations going. By using these five tools, you can increase engagement, build better relationships with your followers, and connect with and grow your audience—as well as your business.
This story was submitted by freelancer Christina Ramas and does not constitute the views or opinions of Upwork.