What is a business proposal writer?
Business proposal writers research prospective clients for your business and write tailored business proposals that describe how your product or service meets their needs. High-quality business proposals deliver an outstanding argument for consideration and include the cost of implementing your solution with tiers of services and fees.
How do you hire a business proposal writer?
You can source business proposal writers on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a business proposal writer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview business proposal writers. Once freelancers begin responding to the project description, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of business proposal writer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a business proposal writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced business proposal writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their business proposal writing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by business proposal writers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $50 per hour
- Intermediate: $74 per hour
- Advanced: $135 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a business proposal writer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample business proposal writer job post titles:
- Business proposal writer needed to help with marketing agency pitches
- Law firm seeking a business proposal writer to connect with hospitals
- Experienced business proposal writer needed to edit a short business proposal
An effective business proposal writer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From research to editing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or proposal formats, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Business proposal writer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of business proposal writer job responsibilities:
- Write and edit proposals that clearly convey business information and details about products and/or services
- Research prospective clients to gain an understanding of the audience and tailor proposals accordingly
- Consult other professionals on the business team to gather and present accurate information
- Collaborate with graphic designers, layout specialists, additional writers, and others to create the best proposal possible
Business proposal writer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a business proposal writer. Here are some examples:
- Familiar with word processing and document creation software such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with proposal writing, grant writing, or other business writing
- Ability to create a proposal strategy and meet regular deadlines
- Excellent communication skills