What is speech writing?
Speech writing is the art of taking a speaker’s thoughts and ideas and transforming them into an official address.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in speech writing professionals:
- Speech writing
- Public relations
- Proofreading and editing
Why do you want to hire speech writers?
The trick to finding top speech writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to encourage donations at a charity dinner, inspire students at a graduation, or express your gratitude when accepting an award? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE SPEECH WRITERS
Got a major public speaking event around the corner and need to deliver a professional public address? A speech writer can help.
So how do you hire speech writers? What follows are some tips for finding top speech writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist speech writing professionals
As you’re browsing available speech writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a speech writer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target audience.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing speeches for political campaigns).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular speech writer.
How to write an effective speech writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal speech writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective speech writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From ghostwriting speeches to proofreading your own work, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or types of speeches, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to write to give speeches your audience will remember? Log in and post your speech writing job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING SPEECH WRITERS
How much does it cost to hire a speech writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced speech writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their speech writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a speech writer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long it takes to write a speech, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more demanding speech writing projects. For example, crafting a single acceptance speech for a local award ceremony will typically take less time than creating a script for emceeing the entire event.
What are the steps involved to hire speech writers?
Here’s how to hire speech writing consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s writing a speech from scratch or editing an existing one.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., writing multiple speeches for each stop on your campaign trail).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential speech writers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., writing a persuasive speech for a pitch meeting).
- Interview speech writing talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.