How to hire expense reporting specialists
Expense reporting is a necessary part of running any business. Expense reporting specialists can help you track business expenses so that you’ll be better prepared to manage costs and prep taxes.
So how do you hire expense reporting specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top expense reporting specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist expense reporting professionals
As you’re browsing available expense reporting consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an expense reporting specialist who understands the nuances of tracking expenses in your industry.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., bookkeeping with QuickBooks).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular expense reporting specialist.
How to write an effective expense reporting job post
With a clear picture of your ideal expense reporting specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective expense reporting job post should include:
- Scope of work: From tracking expenses to creating expense report templates, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or bookkeeping software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to get organized by tracking all your business expenses? Log in and post your expense reporting job on Upwork today.
EXPENSE REPORTING SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is expense reporting?
Expense reporting is the practice of recording business expenses for tax and legal purposes.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in expense reporting professionals:
- Expense reporting
- Administrative support
- Expense tracking tools (e.g., Abacus, QuickBooks, ExpensePoint)
- Spreadsheets (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets)
Why do you want to hire expense reporting specialists?
The trick to finding top expense reporting specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create an expense report employees can use to track business expenses such as work travel? Or do you require general bookkeeping of business expenses using expense tracking software such as Abacus? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an expense reporting specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced expense reporting specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their expense reporting services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.