I’m looking for an editor/ghostwriter (mainly ghostwriter) to read over my manuscript and give their creative input.
It’s a complete first-draft sci-fi, YA, action/adventure novel currently at around 108k words.
Tags include: YA, action, adventure, sci-fi, space, dark, fights, race, bounty hunters, cool weapons, crew
Jago: The Millennium Galaxy Race
Vo: The ultimate power in the galaxy. Its wielder possesses the strength to rule the entire galaxy, and shape it to their will. With Vo's current wielder the galaxy has been at peace for a thousand years, but it’s about to end. One can only wield Vo for a millennium before it is split into four smaller stones and sent across space. A grand race is held to determine who will be the next wielder of Vo, and become the new ruler of the galaxy.
The bounty hunting ship Jago and her crew are reluctant to participate in the race, but someone strong and vicious has been eyeing them. It doesn't help that aboard their ship is the most powerful of the fighting species, an Eyes of Blue, and they soon become a target as a lust for more power. There is no better opportunity to claim the title of the greatest fighter and ruler of the galaxy, than with the Millennium Galaxy Race.
I started this project a few years back and I would love to finish it, but I realized I can’t do it alone and I no longer have the time to devote myself to it as I did in the past. (Work will do that to you I guess.)
I’m very open and easy to talk to! I would like a great worker, but would love a great working partner that leads to a long-term relationship!
***START DATE IS AUGUST 1ST***
***This is a Work For Hire job, meaning you will retain no rights to the written material***
What I am looking for:
Other than someone I feel I can work well with, I would like to break down this project into 2 phases.
Initially I will only hire someone who will commit to both Phases, but if for some reason we cannot continue onto Phase 2, you will still receive compensation of $250 for Phase 1 if completed.
Phase 1 : Review/Learn/Edit $250
Time frame: ~1-3 weeks
• A thorough read-through of my manuscript (notes/terminology guide will also be provided).
• Note anything obvious, inconsistent, awkward, etc. with the story plot and characters (Pretty much like an editorial review)
• Note feelings as you read, and places where you stopped reading.
• Answer feedback questions (will be provided with manuscript).
• Jot down and ask many, many questions. (Important if you wish to continue onto the next phase)
• You will basically answer your questions/concerns in the next Phase (with my guidance).
• Take time to learn about the world I’ve created.
• Return the manuscript with revised edits/notes/questions.
Time frame: ~1 week
I will review the comments, questions, concerns and determine if we should continue onto the next Phase.
I will provide payment for Phase 1.
If you decide you would like to commit onto Phase 2, I will return the revised manuscript.
I will provide payment for Phase 2 commitment of $250
Phase 2: Create/Design/Ghostwrite $2,000
Time frame: ~1-2 months (this is flexible with constant updates)
Payment Installments (payment time frame is negotiable):
Once a part or a half is finished (I have looked over it), I will provide payment.
Part-by-part – 8 parts ($250 per payment installment)
Halves – (1,000 per payment installment)
• You will have the freedom to change/delete/add anything you wish to my manuscript, within the confines of the story’s world.
• Nothing is permanent in this stage, so feel free to go crazy if need be.
• Please, do not hesitate to ask many, many, many questions again. This time you may ask me directly (I will provide contact information) for a prompt response.
• This Phase will require a lot of communication and negotiation (plot-wise).
• The main goal in this stage is to add descriptive flare. Show don’t tell sort of thing (I am an amateur writer, I tend to tell more than show.)
• I would like to stay as true to the story as possible, but I understand some portions may need to be razed, re-written, and changed.
• Answer any ‘fix’ suggestions.
• I’m always open to opinions, suggestions and ideas.
• Completed Project DOES NOT need to be 100% clean (copyedited/publish-worthy), however, it must not contain any major grammatical errors or typos and it must flow as a complete story.
You may be wondering 'why don’t you just hire an editor?' I’m not really looking for an editor at this stage (although having copyediting skills is a definite plus) because I feel my manuscript isn’t at that level just yet. My goal, with you as a ghostwriter, is to be comfortable with the story line, plot, and characters and feel that I have a complete novel.
This is a basic outline of requirements and is subject to change at any time until I have negotiated with the freelancer and we have agreed to the terms.
If you plan to apply, please submit a sample of your work (at least 1,000 words).
Quality writing skills including, but not limited to:
Ability to find weaknesses in writing and fix them
Catch tense usage and fix them
Identify plot holes and fix them
Have show vs. tell experience
Fascination and appreciation of sci-fi culture.
Although there is minimal blood and gore in this story, my future projects (2nd book) do contain some violence with blood and gore.
You must be trustworthy and have the ability to sustain a working relationship. (We have to be able to talk to each other in a somewhat professional manner.)