How to hire dropshippers
Always wanted to run an online store but didn’t want to handle the logistics of maintaining your own inventory? A dropshipper can help you fulfill orders through third parties without your ever having to touch the product yourself.
So how do you hire dropshippers? What follows are some tips for finding top dropshippers on Upwork.
How to shortlist dropshipping professionals
As you’re browsing available dropshipping consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a dropshipper who understands your industry so they can help you source and sell products that will resonate with your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., building an email list with Mailchimp as part of a sales funnel for your dropshipping business).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular dropshipper.
Ready to interview dropshipping talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project? Here are some sample interview questions.
How to write an effective dropshipping job post
With a clear picture of your ideal dropshipper in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective dropshipping job post should include:
- Scope of work: From managing multiple supplier warehouses to troubleshooting shipping issues, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to eliminate the overhead of managing your own inventory? Log in and post your dropshipping job on Upwork today.
What is dropshipping?
Dropshipping is a retail fulfillment practice in which your online store doesn’t keep inventory. When a customer places an order on your website, the product is immediately purchased from a third-party supplier and shipped directly to the customer.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in dropshipping professionals:
- Product sourcing
- Inbound marketing
- Writing product listings
- Experience buying and selling products through Alibaba, Amazon, and eBay
Why hire dropshippers?
The trick to finding top dropshippers is to identify your needs. Do you have a market niche that requires industry-specific expertise and product-sourcing contacts? How much help will you need with your inbound marketing efforts (e.g., email marketing, landing pages)? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a dropshipper?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced dropshipper may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their dropshipping services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.