What is a freelance marketer?
For virtually any type of organization, a freelance marketer can be an invaluable asset. The expertise of a freelance marketer may cover any number of areas, including strategy, advertising, promotion, lead generation, communications and sales.
How do you hire a freelance marketer?
You can source freelance marketing talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a freelance marketer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview freelance marketers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of freelance marketer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a freelance marketer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced freelance marketer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their freelance marketer services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by freelance marketers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $15 per hour
- Intermediate: $44 per hour
- Advanced: $300 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a freelance marketer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample freelance marketing job post titles:
- Need marketing expert to help price my new line of fragrances
- Looking for marketing expertise to develop go to market strategy for toy line
- Consulting service needs marketing pro to develop advertising campaign
An effective freelance marketer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From marketing plan creation to developing sales brochures, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing disciplines, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Freelance marketer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of freelance marketer job responsibilities:
- Assist the director of marketing with series of product launches
- Develop creative briefs for each new social media campaign
- Manage print production process for latest product catalogue
Freelance marketer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a freelance marketer. Here are some examples:
- Must have bachelor’s degree in marketing or equivalent
- Experience developing print advertising campaign
- Track record of generating leads using social media campaigns