What is a medical translator?
A medical translator is an individual who is tasked with translating documents, such as training materials, medical bulletins, drug data sheets, and more, in the medical industry. Upwork offers access to medical translators who use their skills to translate documents for medical devices, clinical research, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare into the language where the item or information is being used.
How do you hire a medical translator?
You can source medical translator talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a medical translator.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview medical translators. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of medical translator you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a medical translator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced medical translator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their medical translating services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a medical translator job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample medical translator job post titles:
- Medical translator needed to translate medical guides being shipped overseas
- Need help translating ventilator instructions from English to Japanese
- Need medical translator to assist telehealth physician when speaking with immigrants
An effective medical translator job post should include:
- Scope of work: From translating medical jargon to using a variety of communication devices, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain languages, devices, or environments, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Medical translator job responsibilities
Here are some examples of medical translator job responsibilities:
- Translate conversations between physicians and patients
- Work with medical equipment manufacturers to translate their instructions into 3 languages
- Translate notes from physician and provide to patients
Medical translator job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a medical translator. Here are some examples:
- Ability to fluently speak English, German and French
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with the latest invasive medical equipment