How to hire medical transcriptionists
From voice-recorded medical reports to medical lectures, medical transcriptionists make recorded information easier to access by transcribing it into text form.
So how do you hire medical transcriptionists? What follows are some tips for finding top medical transcriptionists on Upwork.
How to shortlist medical transcription professionals
As you’re browsing available medical transcription consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Language. If your project requires transcribing medical information from one language to another, be sure to screen transcriptionists for this skill.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., experience transcribing mixed Spanish/English audio into an English medical report).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular medical transcriptionist.
How to write an effective medical transcription job post
With a clear picture of your ideal medical transcriptionist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective medical transcription job post should include:
- Scope of work: From generating medical reports to data entry, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain languages or medical applications, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to transcribe medical audio into workable text documents? Log in and post your medical transcription job on Upwork today.
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONISTS FAQ
What is medical transcription?
Medical researchers and doctors often dictate their findings and observations into a microphone while their hands are occupied with a patient or a medical experiment. Medical transcription is the process of transcribing that medical information into a written report.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in medical transcription professionals:
- Medical transcription
- Medical writing
- Medical records research
- Medical translation
- Data entry
Why hire medical transcriptionists?
The trick to finding top medical transcriptionists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to transcribe a medical researcher’s audio notes into a searchable lab report? Or do you need to transcribe patient interviews from another language into English? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a medical transcriptionist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced medical transcriptionist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their medical transcription services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.