What is a sales consultant?
A sales consultant is a professional adept at identifying, engaging and converting prospects into customers. Sales consultants, offering experience navigating customer relationship management (CRM) software, cultivating lead generation, and closing sales, can be found on Upwork.
How do you hire a sales consultant?
You can source sales consultant talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a sales consultant.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview sales consultants. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of sales consultant you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a sales consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced sales consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their sales consulting services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by sales consultants on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $10 per hour
- Intermediate: $24 per hour
- Advanced: $88 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a sales consultant job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample sales consultant job post titles:
- Need sales consultant to help grow my consulting business
- Our new product launches require 5 more sales professionals
- Are you great at engaging with people and closing sales? We want to talk to you
An effective sales consultant job post should include:
- Scope of work: From conducting demos to consulting with the company’s credit managers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or products, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Sales consultant job responsibilities
Here are some examples of sales consultant job responsibilities:
- Reach out to all prospects who have reached a specified score in Salesforce
- Meet quarterly sales goals for all new products
- Learn all facets of our company’s product offering in order to answer all prospects questions
Sales consultant job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a sales consultant Here are some examples:
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in inside sales with a Fortune 1000 company
- Experience using CRM software such as Salesforce of Zoho CRM a requirement
- Track record of closing sales in a technology industry