The business analyst manages assigned development projects by developing detailed plans, defining scope and priorities, scheduling, ensuring project deadlines are established and adhered to, and communicating the project goals and processes to the stakeholder. In addition the business analyst is responsible for documenting project progress including implementation, timeline, issues, risks and successes.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Works with end users to determine needs (data, screens, processes, reports) and develop scope.
· Researches and documents existing workflows and systems and makes recommendations where improvements could be made.
· Responsible for drafting detailed specifications that reflects the user’s needs. These specifications may be used internally or given to external vendors or consultants.
· Develops project implementation plans and oversees the development process.
· Acts as ASTM’s liaison with external vendors and consultants
· Holds regular meetings with department managers to communicate the status of ongoing development work. The incumbent must work particularly closely with staff managers, the publications/marketing staff, and the meetings department.
· Conforms to generally accepted I/T and Web standards as adopted by ASTM.
· Works independently with a minimum amount of supervision.
· Tests and reviews new systems or revisions prior to implementation, and develops user training and procedures.
· Keeps current with advances in both technology and technique (i.e.: web, client/server; rapid application development techniques; relational database methodology).
· Experience in project planning, including cost/benefit analysis and resource allocation.
· Thorough knowledge of information technology concepts and technologies and computer systems hardware and software, including various systems architectures and protocols; PC, client/server.
· Thorough knowledge of SDLC methodologies (waterfall & agile)
· Ability to configure software, “work” the keyboard, write scripts and queries on an as needed basis utilizing tools, such as, Business Objects or Oracle SQL Plus.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
· Excellent communication skills (oral, written, interpersonal, listening) with ability to prepare and deliver presentations to both technical and managerial positions.
· Experience in web development environments, project management, team leadership, and testing processes and methodologies
· Knowledge of technology concepts underlying eCommerce, web personalization, enterprise application integration, outsourcing/ASPs, and eCRM
· Ability to get projects finished on time and on budget.