How to hire English teachers and tutors
Want to learn English? Have an online English course in need of some staff? English teachers and tutors can help.
So how do you hire English teachers and tutors? What follows are some tips for finding top English teachers and tutors on Upwork.
How to shortlist English teaching and tutoring professionals
As you’re browsing available English teaching and tutoring consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Translation fit. You want an English teacher or tutor who understands your language or the language of the people you wish to teach.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating English classes for an online course).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular English teacher or tutor.
How to write an effective English teaching and tutoring job post
With a clear picture of your ideal English teacher or tutor in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective English teaching and tutoring job post should include:
- Scope of work: From teaching to course materials, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to fill your English learning needs? Log in and post your English teaching and tutoring job on Upwork today.
ENGLISH TEACHERS & TUTORS FAQ
What is English?
English is the primary spoken language of the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and more than 50 other countries. It is the most widely spoken language on the planet when nonnative speakers are taken into account.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in English teaching and tutoring consultants:
- English teaching and tutoring (especially ESL, or English as a second language)
- Writing, editing, and proofreading
- Content creation
- Language-specific translation (e.g., Spanish to English)
Why hire English teachers and tutors?
The trick to finding top English teachers and tutors is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find a personal tutor to help you improve your English? Or are you seeking a professional English instructor to help you develop coursework and content for your online English-language course? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an English teacher or tutor?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced teacher or tutor may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their teaching and tutoring services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.