How to hire Tamil translators
Tamil is the official language of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and the Union Territory of Puducherry. It is one of the official languages of Sri Lanka and Singapore, with significant Tamil-speaking populations in Malaysia, Mauritius, Fiji, and South Africa. If you’re looking to localize your business for Tamil-speaking communities, a Tamil translator can help.
So how do you hire Tamil translators? What follows are some tips for finding top Tamil translators on Upwork.
How to shortlist Tamil translation professionals
As you’re browsing available Tamil translation consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a translator who can not only translate Tamil but also understands how to translate industry-specific lingo between languages.
- Communication. A translator needs strong written and verbal communication skills to ensure your message remains intact post-translation.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Tamil translator.
How to write an effective Tamil translation job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Tamil translator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Tamil translation job post should include:
- Scope of work: From translating technical documents to audio transcription, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer specific experience performing certain translation services, such as creative writing for translating songs, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bridge the communication gap between your business and Tamil-speaking communities? Log in and post your Tamil translation job on Upwork today.
TAMIL TRANSLATORS FAQ
What is Tamil?
Tamil is one of the longest-surviving classical languages in the world, with literary works stretching as far back as 300 BCE. While the language has certainly evolved, it’s one of the few languages in the world with a continuous traceable history.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Tamil professionals:
- Tamil-to-English and/or English-to-Tamil translation
- CAT (computer-assisted translation) tools such as Trados or Wordfast
- Audio transcription (e.g., subtitles)
- Writing and grammar (English and Tamil)
- Specialist, technical, commercial, or industrial knowledge
- Strong understanding of how style, tone, and other cultural elements should be transferred between English and Tamil
Why do you want to hire Tamil translators?
The trick to finding top Tamil translators is to identify your needs. Is your goal to localize an automated email marketing campaign from English to Tamil? Or do you need a real-time Tamil-English interpreter to assist with an upcoming teleconference? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Tamil translator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Tamil translator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Tamil translation services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.