How to hire Ukrainian translation specialists
Ukrainian is the official language of Ukraine, a country in Eastern Europe. It is also spoken in communities found in Kazakhstan, Poland, Lithuania, Slovakia, Romania, and Moldova. If you’re looking for a contractor who can help you localize your business for Ukrainian-speaking communities, a Ukrainian translator can help.
So how do you hire a Ukrainian translator? What follows are some tips for finding top Ukrainian translation consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist Ukrainian translation professionals
As you’re browsing available Ukrainian translation contractors, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a Ukrainian translator who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., translating sales copy for engineers from English to Ukrainian with cultural and industry context intact).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular translator.
How to write an effective Ukrainian translator job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Ukrainian translator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Ukrainian translator job post should include:
- Scope of work: From real-time English-to-Ukrainian translation to audio transcription, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or project types, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bridge the communication gap between your business and Ukrainian-speaking communities? Log in and post your Ukrainian translation job on Upwork today.
UKRAINIAN TRANSLATION SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is Ukrainian?
Ukrainian is a Slavic language that traces its origins back to the language spoken within the kingdom of Kievan Rus, which was founded by the Viking ruler Oleg of Novgorod. It is closely related to Russian and Belarusian.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a Ukrainian translator:
- CAT (computer-assisted translation) tools such as Trados or memoQ
- Audio transcription (e.g., subtitles)
- Writing and grammar (English and Ukrainian)
- Specialist, technical, commercial, or industrial knowledge
- Strong understanding of how style, tone, and other cultural elements should be transferred between English and Ukrainian
Why hire Ukrainian translation specialists?
The trick to finding top Ukrainian translators is to identify your needs. Do you want to translate sales copy for an automated email marketing campaign? Do you require a creative writer who can translate a short story with cultural context intact?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Ukrainian translator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced translator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their translation services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.